Thursday, October 4, 2012

Fried Mozzarella Sticks with Marinara Dipping Sauce

 
WHOA!! Where have I been?!?!?! I know... its been a while, almost a month. So... on to the FOOD. The idea for mozzarella sticks came up pretty randomly. I was in the kitchen getting ready to make some grilled pizza (which might I add gets better every time I make it) and my wubby wanted something to go with them. I opened up the freezer and there, staring me in the fac,e was a huge pack of string cheese. Instantly I thought.... FRIED MOZZARELLA STICKS!!! I have never made mozzarella sticks before, but the concept seemed easy. Cheese, breadcrumbs, egg, flour, and oil. It doesn't get more simple than that. So here we go to the awesomeness!



     
 
Fried Mozzarella Sticks (Makes 20 bite size sticks)

Ingredients:
  • 10 Mozzarella String Cheese Sticks
  • 2 eggs
  • A little milk (a splash)
  • Canola Oil
  • Flour
  • Italian Breadcrumbs (I used the panko version to add some extra CRRRRUUUNNCH)
The first thing I do is set up my station to prepare the sticks. Get 2 bowls and 1 large plate. In one bowl crack the eggs, add a splash of milk, and beat until well combined. In the other bowl, add a cup of flour to start (if you need more of either ingredient, just grab some more- there is no set amount to use). Pour the breadcrumbs onto the plate. I like to start with a little and add more as I go. This way I don't get super clumpy breadcrumb pieces. Once your station is set up, cut each mozzarella stick in half creating 20 "half sticks." Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place to the side.
 
 
 
 
Now the fun part. Roll each "half stick" in the flour to cover. Next, take the stick and dip it in the egg wash. Now place the egg covered mozzarella stick on the plate with breadcrumbs. Instead of rolling the cheese in the breadcrumbs, I like to cover the stick with the breadcrumbs. This helps to cut down the amount of clumps that are created. Once your sticks are covered, place them on the parchment-paper-lined baking sheet. Continue this process until all of your sticks are covered. Place your baking sheet with all the sticks in the freezer for twenty minutes. This will help the cheese not melt as fast in the hot oil.

 
  
 

When your sticks are almost done freezing, grab a pan deep enough for frying. I put just enough oil in the pan so that it will completely cover the mozzarella sticks (about an inch and a half to two inches). Line a plate with a few paper towels and place to the side. Heat the oil on medium. When ready, pull the mozzarella sticks out of the freezer and place 4-6 (depending on the size of your pan) in the pan. The sticks will begin to brown quickly so keep an eye on them making sure to roll them over half way through cooking. When the sticks are nice and golden brown, take them out of the oil and place on the plate. Continue with this process until all of the mozzarella sticks are cooked.

Dipping Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 12 oz can of tomato sauce
  • 1 6 oz can tomato paste
  • salt
  • red pepper flakes
I like to make my dipping sauce while the mozzarella sticks are in the freezer. You can also make it before you start the sticks. Whatever you want. This is also the same sauce that I use on my grilled pizza. First, empty the cans of tomato sauce and paste into a bowl. With a spoon, stir them until combined (it is a little hard at first, but keep going! It gets really smooth). Next, season your sauce. I only use salt and red pepper. You, however, can use whatever you like. I like to add small amounts and taste as I go to make sure I get the perfect combination. I like to let my sauce sit in the fridge for a little while until all the flavors combine.



Lastly... enjoy! These little babies are sooo tasty. All those "American Diner" restaurant's have NOTHING on these!!



Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment: