Thursday, October 4, 2012

Puff Pastry and Eggs

 
Breakfast is BIG in our house. I think I could make it three times a day for my Wubby and she would be just fine! For this reason... I am forever looking for new breakfast ideas. That’s why when I got my FOOD NETWORK MAGAZINE (I am just a little excited... can you tell?) I immediately looked for a good recipe. Turns out I didn’t have to look too far as this one was on the cover. Not only does this recipe look awesome... It’s easy peasy lemon breezy (which is a must first thing in the morning.) Take a look…



 


Puff Pastry and Eggs: Taken from the Food Network Magazine March 2012

Makes 4 individual servings
  • All-purpose flour – for dusting your counter
  • 1 sheet (half of an 18 ounce package) of frozen puff pastry, thawed
  • 2 strips bacon
  • 1 ½ cups shredded havarti cheese
  • 2 tablespoons shredded parmesan cheese (next time I would do without this... It made the tarts a little too salty for my taste)
  • 4 large eggs
  • Salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives (I used green onion)
   
 
 Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (I didn't have any on hand so I LIGHTLY oiled my baking sheets). Place the thawed puff pastry on a lightly floured surface. Roll it into a 12 inch square. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into four pieces. Fold the corners of each square in so that you create round tarts. Place two tarts on each baking sheet. Prick them all over with a fork. Bake them until golden brown (about 8 to 10 minutes). While the tarts are in the oven, cook your bacon until crisp. Pat dry of grease and crumble.
  
 
When the tarts are done cooking, let them cool slightly on the baking sheet. If the centers of the tarts are puffy, prick them so they deflate (through trial and error I found that lightly pressing the tart with the back of my fork deflated them best). Sprinkle an even amount of havarti and parmesan on each tart. Create a well in the middle of the cheese and crack the egg into it (make your wells a decent size or the egg will run down the tart onto the pan). Season the egg with salt and pepper. Top with the crumbled bacon and then place back into the oven. Cook the tarts until the whites of the eggs are set (about 10 to 15 minutes). Once out of the oven top with chives and enjoy.


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment